Can I sue an instructor for loss of wages for a porgram that was substandard, too long and given to me while the instructor was operating illegally?

I want to sue my instructor for permanent cosmetics. I was provided a substandard, possibly dangerous to the client education/apprenticeship. Also, she was not operating in accordance with the laws of the county (she was operating an illegal permanent cosmetics shop). In addition to suing for the cost of my tuition and insurance, can I sue for loss of potential wages? My apprenticeship took way too long (14 months rather than less than 6), and I will now have to do at least another 6 month apprenticeship in order to operate legally in my state. If so, how do I calculate that?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Business Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You cannot sue for lost wages as you did not have wages in this area of cosmetics to begin with. You can sue for your tuition, insurance and add the new tuition at the new school. You should also report this person to the state health department and state licensing board.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.