Can I sue a person that commissioned me to paint a watercolor and now is avoided any contact to pay?

I was contacted through a text to be commissioned to paint watercolor paintings, 1 for the woman I was speaking through text messes to and another one of her friends. The agreed price was $30 for the first and $50 for the second. I have completed the paintings and have given her a week to come pick them up. After many times she says she will come she just never shows up with the money and now she has stopped responding to my texts. I have even offered to drop them off at her house or mail, but do not know her address. Can I sue for a completed job that and still have not gotten paid.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Business Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue for breach of contract.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) for breach of contract would be the contract price.  You can file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages, in addition to the contract price for the two paintings, should also include court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.