Can I sue a person for not refunding my money and/or fraud/extortion?

I pre-paid a psychic on my credit card after she said I had to pay or my family and I were doomed with a curse. I felt uneasy after I paid and found out online that her business was listed as a scam. I called her the next day and told her that I wanted to a refund. She agreed. I then disputed it with my credit card. The amount was taken off my card and my credit card company disputed it with her bank. She disputed back and said services were provided. It was charged back on my card. I contacted her, told her she had have her bank release the funds. She agreed. I haven’t heard from her since.

Asked on June 13, 2012 under General Practice, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to reopen the matter with your credit card company and provide the online support to show she is a scam. Further, provide the same to your state attorney general, the Federal Trade Commission and the FBI. These should be enough to have the charges reversed. Your last course of action is to locate her and sue her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.