Can I sue a hospital for releasing personal medical information to the general public?

I’m transgender and a memeber of the imaging department, has been telling people I have femal body parts in my scans.

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your medical file has been seen by an employee of yours and information of it has been leaked to the public, you need to have a face to face meeting with your company's human resources department to discuss the situation. Depending upon the outcome of the meeting and whether such employee is disciplined or not, you may have a basis to bring a legal action against your employer.

From what you have written, you may have a factual and legal basis to bring an action against your co-employee. For that, I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.