Can I sue a gyncelogist for refusing me help because of my weight?

I went to a gynecologist 2 days for severe pelvic pain and bleeding. My husband called to make the appointment for me to be seen right away. The nurse then told us to pay $130 so we said OK. We got to the office and I filled out all paperwork. I was taken to check my vitals. my blood pressure was high because I was in pain, and I’m currently overweight but healthy. The doctor came in and saidto me that hw will not see any patients over 200 lbs. He then preceded to tell me that I am a high risk and that I should be seen by a specialist in another country.Or better yet, I need to make an appointment to get gastric-bypas

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You were treated horribly, with out a doubt.  And you need to file a complaint with the state licensing authority regarding his behaviour.  He needs to be sanctioned for violating the oath he took to help all people.  But if his actions rise to the level of medical malpractice is unclear.  What was the cause of the pelvic pain?  Were you seen else where?  Was there any resulting injury from his failure to treat?  You should speak with an attorney in your area who will ask you questions like this one.  Medical malpractice cases are very difficult to determine in this forum and they are very difficult all around to prove. More information is needed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.