Can I sue a company for misinformation?

My previous employer laid me off and told me on the day they decided to let me go that the reason as to why I was hired was because I was supposed to be a replacement for a co-worker who wasn’t doing his job correctly. However, my manager said that he talked to this co-worker and said that he was going to change his act and decided to let me go because he promised to do so. Yet, they didn’t disclose this information to me during the hiring process. I was promised a full-time job and not once did they mention this at all. I feel I’ve been mistreated and lied to.

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you had a union agreement or employment contract that guaranteed  your continued employment, you were an "at will" worker. This means that your employer could set the conditions of the workplace much as it saw fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). This included when and why to discharge you. In fact, you could have been terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.