Can I sue a company for firing me because of remarks that I made while off the clock?

I had worked there for just under 15 years with no verbals or write-ups on my record. It has since come to light that the store manager has come out as gay. This retail store has a Christian foundation and has recently gone nuts trying to show they aren’t prejudiced

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

An employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all. The fact is that, an employer can mandate just about whatever it wants with respect to employee behavior. At least in an "at will" employment relationship. Accordingly, an employer can dictate the terms and conditions of employment as it sees fit or deems necessary; this includes what an employee does off the clock. For their part, an employee can choose to work for an employer or not.

Exceptions to this would be if this violates existing company policy, an employment contract or a union agreement. Additionally, your termination must not be due to actionable discrimination on your employer's part (which it does not appear to be).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.