can i sue a birth control company if i got blood clotts from there product

got the imlanon in my arm. and almost a year later ended up in the hospital with multipule blood clots in my lungs. drs say I was lucky to be alive

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if the product is directly responsible for your injuries, then you can sue the aker for your damages under a 'product liability' theory or medical malpractice theory, or both... just depending on your situation.
A defective product liability suit basically alleges that the company that produced the birth control made a dangerous or unsafe product.
A med malpractice claim basically says the doctor that wrote the prescription should have issued a different prescription.
To know which theory to best pursue, consult with a personal injury attorney that handles product cases (as opposed to general car wreck cases).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.