Can I sue

I was in a car accident. The other car was at fault my insurance has deemed my car to be a total loss. The other person gave an insurance company but the insurance couldn’t find them in system has a yet to contact me back. Could I sue the person that hit my car ebb though my insurance company is going to pay the finance company?

Asked on November 5, 2017 under Accident Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue for any amounts to which you are entitled but which are not paid by your insurer to you or on your behalf. If your insurer is paying the finance company for you, that would be any deducitble you have to pay; car rental for a reasonable time while you get a new car; towing or other charges in connection with the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.