Can I still sue my employer for non-payment of wages if I do not have copies of my check stubs or rate of pay contract?

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Ok so here we are at tax time when you should have gotten - or be getting - a W2 from your employer.  This document should indeed give you evidence of wages paid to you.  Your last year tax return is also good if you do not have your W2 yet.   Additionally, if you start the suit you can subpoena pay roll records to help prove your claim.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.