Can I still file a Dissolution in Ohio if my husband is now living in Michigan?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Family Law, Ohio


Denise Ferguson / Denise Ferguson Attorney At Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I agree with other counsel. I am licensed in Ohio. If you file a dissolution however you need to be certain that he signs off on all paperwork and that he travels from Michigan for the hearing. If he does not appear at the hearing, you will not be granted a dissolution.

N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, as long as you have been a resident of Ohio for at least 6 months immediately before filing for divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.