Can I sign divorce papers in my husband’s name if I have general power of attorney?

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


Michael Gainer / Michael J. Gainer, Attorney At Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Tough question.  It is hard to answer without knowing why you have a general power of attorney for him. It would depend on your state laws.  Usually, someone with a general power of attorney can sign things for the other person, but has to act in the person's best interests - fiduciary duties.  I have not researched the issue, but I believe many courts would hesitate to enter an order affecting his interests if it is only signed by you - the party who can benefit significantly by signing for him.

In Washington, to make sure the divorce is final, I would either have the husband sign if he has not been declared incompetent, or ask the court to appoint an attorney/temporary guardian to determine husband's competency and possibly sign for spouse.  You want to make sure it is done right and final. 

From a practical standpoint, if he's competent, I would file and have him served and if he doesn't respond, get a default order and enter your final divorce papers. If you don't know where he is, you could serve him by publication. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.