Can I show up as parent/guardian for my brother?

My brother got a ticket for no license and
running a red light. He is 17 needs to appear
to court with a parent/guardian. My parents
cant go. Can I go in their position as
parent/guardian? Im 18.

Asked on November 5, 2018 under General Practice, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless you are his legal guardian, then you cannot appear in court in place of your parents. You'll just have to break it to your brother that he will need to fess uo to your parents regarding this ticket.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot, because you are not his legal guardian: you have no legal rights or authority over him, despite being his older brother. At least one of your parents will have to go: there is no way around that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.