Can I set up a trust for my grandchild so that her mother/legal guardian cannot access the trust at any time?

My mother wants to set up a trust for my daughter. She is worried that if we both die before my daughter is 18 that her mother/legal guardian will be able to have access to the trust and balance of the estate. Is it possible to exclude the mother from any inheritance that my daughter will receive?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is very wise to plan ahead abouthow your mother wishes her inheritance to really be used.  You should speak with an estate planner and/or an attorney in your area on the matter.  Your Mother can create a trust that names a particular trustee there than your daughter's Mother.  She can set parameters on the trust - what it is to be used for and how it can be accessed - but those parameters will follow what is permissible under your state law.  She can also have the trust dissolve at 18 when your daughter becomes of legal age to cotrol her own money or at what ever age she chooses to elect.  She can and should name a successor trustee in case the trustee becomes incapable to serve.    If your daughter's Mother can access the funds it will depend on what the terms of the trust have indicated and again, that will be according to your wishes and state law.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.