Can i separate from my husband and have my baby?

I’m suffering from an abusive relationship. My family doesn’t live in the U.S. and I live with my husband family. My husband is us citizen. I have a one year old baby. I want to ask can I live separately from mu husband in different state? And what are legal rights?

Asked on October 4, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Ok so I do not know where in Texas you are but there are many places to help abused women - which is what you are - in the State of Texas.  I have found online a group in Texas called the Texas Advocacy Project 800-374-HOPE.  They provide help and free legal services.  You need to get you and your baby out of there now. I can tell that you are feeling trapped and are starting to think what is happeneing is ok but it is not.  I think you think that becuase you are worried about what will happen to you and the baby if you speak or act out.  That is because you are a Mother who wants to protect her child and that shows how truly string a person you are putting your child first.  But things will never get better thee, only worse.  You should be proud of yourself for taking this first step.  Now go and call this number when you have some privacy and they can help you take the second step to freedom from this environment with these people.  Writing this question was the frist step.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.