Can I sell property in mine and my father’s name, if he is deceased wthout putting the property in probate?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

if it was held as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, then it is yours to sell- no probate.

if held as joint tenants or tenants in common then it is subject to probate.  if less than 50K however you can do a small estate affidavit and handle it fairly easily

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.