Can I seek legal action against a co-worker for sexual harassment without involving my current employer?

A co-worker has been making lewd comments towards myself regarding his sexuality. He has also been very aggressive towards me when I have tried to avoid him during work. I talked to my management and they said they would take care of it, but I was wondering if I could pursue this course past them for myself.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes you certain can. You should also give a chance to the employer. An employer has an obligation to take all necessary and reasonable steps to stop work place harassments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.