Can I save a small commercial building that I own if I file bankruptcy?

Property is in foreclosure for almost 2 months due to non-payment or partial payment of monthly mortgage payment due to family illness a while ago. Property is leased for a while now and monthly tenant’s payment is enough to cover regular monthly mortgage payment and a second payment if it could be set up toward balance odd (amount that foreclosure was filed for). I bought it 13 years ago and I really want to keep it.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy you can stop your foreclosure and most likely keep your property.  A Chapter 13 allows you o set up a plan to pay off your debt.  There is also something known as a "cramdown" that can allow you A "cramdown" in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy allows you to reduce the principal balance of a debt  to the value of the property it is secured by like i an investment property mortgage.  Seek help as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.