CanI return a used car ifI was underaged whenI signed the contract?

I want to know if I can return a used car that I bought a month ago because it started to have problems? I bought it as “as is” but I was underage when I signed the contract. When I asked the dealer they said the presence of my father was enough.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you were not an adult when you purchased the vehicle but your father was with you when you bought it, you unfortunately cannot get out of the contract because you have taken possession of the vehicle and used it.

Had you not taken possession of the vehicle and if you were a minor, you possibly could have cancelled the contract because you were under the age of majority when you purchased it. Your situation is similar to going to a restraurant, ordering a meal, eating it and then saying you do not want to pay for it because you are a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.