Can I retain legal aid assistance in the city in which I currently live, if I have the pending charges in another state?

Asked on July 17, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you will have to retain an attorney who is licensed in the state in which the charges are pending. In your case, this means that you will have to contact the Legal Aid local to where to offense occurred.

Note: Even if there is an attorney at the Legal Aid in your city who is licensed in both states, you will be directed to an office in the other state since Legal Aid does not typically take out-of-state cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.