Can I request the auto coverage information of the driver who hit me?

Asked on September 3, 2014 under Accident Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can request the auto coverage information from the at-fault party's insurance carrier, but the insurance carrier is not required to provide it.

If you are able to obtain that information, you will then know the policy limits and seek to recover that amount in settlement negotiations.  If the policy limits are inadequate and the case is not settled with the insurance company, you can file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party and seek to recover more than the policy limits.

Your auto accident has two separate claims, one for property damage (the cost of repairs to your car) and the other claim is for your personal injury.  Your personal injury claim includes compensation for the medical bills, pain and suffering, and wage loss.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the imformation in the medical reports  which document the nature and extent of your injury.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

If the case is NOT settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, you must file your lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

If the case is settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.