Can I report solicitation for murder 18 months later?

I was just told that my ex wife tried
to hire her brother in law to ‘get rid
of me.’ This was during our divorce in
October of 2015. So far, I know that it
was asked how much he would take to get
rid of me. How should I report this?

Asked on December 28, 2016 under Criminal Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can stil report the crime 18 months later--you should still be within the "statute of limitations," or time period within which charges must be brought. You report it by going to the local police and simply explaining what you know, in as much detail as possible. Bring any documentary evidence (e.g.  any texts or emails which may have informed you of what happened, etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.