Can I report my laptop stolen if an ex-friend will not return it to me?

If not, then what steps can I take to get it back? This laptop was put in their care for $50 to fix it. Months later an argument unrelated to the laptop took place and they have refused 2 seperate times to return it to me.

Asked on June 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Theft is not just the taking of something, it can also include the retention of something that belongs to another.  So, yes, you can file a criminal theft report.  In addition to a theft claim, you can also file a civil suit in a small claims court to obtain the return of the vehicle.  Before you go to the expense of filing a lawsuit, consider hiring an attorney for the limited purpose of sending  demand letter on your behalf. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.