Can I report my car stolen after selling it to my LLC if the car is taken by husband?

I live in NV. My husband took the car that is titled on my name and has been my property before we got married. I was trying to report the car stolen but since it is a community property I could not do anything other than report my husband missing. He recently got pulled over and let go. Can I sell the car to my LLC and report my car stolen?

Also, will that be legal since I reported him missing and associated the car with a missing person?

Asked on December 11, 2018 under Family Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If it's community property, you cannot sell it without his agreement or consent--you can't alienate or deprive him of his interest in it.
Furthermore, even if you could sell it, since he took it while the car was community property, he did nothing wrong and committed a crime: you cannot turn something not a crime when it was done into a crime after the fact.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.