Can I repair the my vehicle myself after receiving payment from the insurance company for the damages?

I was hit by someone and his insurance company sent out someone for the estimate. They mailed me a check for the damages and a three day rental voucher. I know someone who will fix the damage for much less. Can I have him do the work and keep the difference? And if so, can I use the rental voucher while he works on the vehicle?

Asked on March 31, 2011 under Accident Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Did you sign a release as to the funds that were sent to you?  What does it say?  Does it say that you have to have the car repaired by a specific place or is the money that they gave you the fair market value, so to speak, for the repair work and you can have it done anywhere?  If you are not restricted to somewhere and you can get a better price then I am sure that you can keep the difference. Again, read the release.  But really make sure that the work done is the same that the estimate calls for.  And I am sure that the voucher is intended for use by you when the car is out of commission.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.