Can I remove my room mate from my deed?

I bought a house a year ago and decided to add my room mate to the deed so that
in case something happened to me he would not be homeless. He has since left to
go live with someone else. Can his name be removed from the deed?

Asked on September 7, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No you cannot just remoce you ex-roommate from the deed. At this point, he is a legal owner of the property and has all of the same rights to it as you do. If you want his name off of the deed, he will have to agree to it or else you can buy him out if you file a partition lawsuit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.