Can I relocate with my child

If I haven’t filed for divorce and I
move 2 hours away to another state but
it doesn’t mess with her seeing her
father will I get in trouble for moving

Asked on July 12, 2017 under Family Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If there is no court order in effect, then you can take your child out-of-state. However, your husband can go to court in your current state and obtain a court order which will require you to return. If you don't return you can be charged with parental kidnapping. The best and safest way for you to obtain legal custody of your child is for you to go to court first before moving. What you want to get is an order from the court on custody and visitation; obviously, you will want to try and get one that will allow an out-of-state move. In making its determiation, the court will consider the bests interests of the child and look at such things as the age of your child, the relationship they have with both you and their father, the present living situation of the child, etc. At this point, you should consult directly with a local attorney as they can best advise you on how best to proceed with all of this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.