Can I relocate to another state with my children without telling my ex-husband?

I’m divorced and want to move out of state with my children. My divorce agreement states that I have to give my ex-husband a 30 day written notice. We currently live together. He’s abusive and I’m afraid of what he might do if he finds out that I’m trying to move. Is there any way around having to give him the 30 day notice? We have joint custody, I have residential custody and he does pay child support.

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Family Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that what you need to do is to move temporarily to another place pending a possible move out of state. At such time consult with a family law attorney about writing the "ex" about your intent to move out of state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.