Can I relocate the belongings of a person that had no right or to be in my property?

I am currently working out of state and I rented my house about 8 months ago as a corporate lease to a company that turned out to be fraudulent. The officer that signed the lease used an alias and the person that was supposedly to occupy the home, did not. As it turns out the signee moved in without my knowledge or consent. They have been arrested and extradited to another state and they have belongings in my home. Also, although, I am not attempting to collect they are past due on the rent and did not full pay the required security deposit in full.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If there are articles in your home from some person who had no right to be in it as you have written, you can relocate such items provided you do so in a reasonable manner.

I suggest that you box the items and then take such to the local police department stating that such items were abandoned by those who were arrested and extradited to another state. If law enforcement will not accept the items, donate such to charity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.