Can I relinquish my interest in a trust?

I am a beneficiary of my parent’s estate but my portion is held in trust. I only get quarterly disbursements of interest. The balance of the trust will be disbursed to my children upon my death. Can I relinquish my interest in the trust and have the proceeds distributed to my children right away?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are the beneficiary of a trust receiving quarterly payments you can disclain your interests in it and direct the trustee making the distribution that your children who are the trust's contingent beneficiaries are to receive what you are receiving in your place for all future payments.

You will need to have a written document prepared to such request and have your signature to it notarized. Once done, it is to be sent to the trustee while you keep a copy for future reference if need be.

If your children are presently under the age of eighteen (18), trust distribution to them is required to be placed in a guardianship account for them until they become adults.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.