Can I refuse to answer questions at a trial I was supeonad for as a witness?

I made a police statement when I thought i saw someone in my house. Now I got a supeona and I don’t want to answer questions because when I made the report I was scared and confused. I wish I could retract my statement, is that an option? I don’t even remember what I wrote in the statement and I don’t want to get in trouble if they ask me questions that I don’t remember or am unsure about. Can I get in trouble for being unsure about what happened that day?

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your best course of action is to consult a local attorney.  As a witness, you can only refuse to answer questions if they are protected by a privilege.  Each state has different laws about privilege.  You may be able to refuse to answer questions because of the privilege against self-incrimination or some other privilige.  Howver, you need to discuss this in detail with an attorney.  This is not the sort of advice that can be given by email.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.