Can I refuse to renewa leaseif my tenants divorced and Idon’t want a newly single manliving there?

I rented my house a year ago to a newly married couple. They have however since then separated. I really do not want my house turned into a bachelor pad, so can I refuse to renew because of this? This is my only home (I currently live out of the country). I thought that landlords with a certain amount of property where excluded from the discrimination laws or some of them. Also, can I make appointments to show it and does he have to let me in.

Asked on September 15, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No one is "exempt" from discriminating against someone but stating that you do not want to rent to someone who is in a protected class is what you really have to worry about.  What does the lease say about renewal?  If it says that you have the option to not renew then follow what it says.  You really always have that option - as long as it is not based upon actual discrimination (they are black, white, Jewish, Catholic, etc.).   Generally leases say that they are to renewed or not renewed within 30 days of their expiration and that a new lease will be forwarded, etc.  Or it can state that you have to notify the tenant within x amount of days of the expiration of the lease that you are not renewing the lease.  Which ever it says then follow it.  If you have any questions please consult an attorney in your area. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.