Can I receive unemployment benefits for voluntarily leaving my job in order to re-locate out-of-state with my husband?

My husband was transferred to FL from MI and I was forced to voluntarily quit my position with my job to move with him and my children. I’ve filed for the benefits in the state of Michigan and have been denied because the state says it was “no fault of the employer” that I left. I understand that, but it was no fault of mine that I had to move either. I am currently at the hearing stage of the appeal process and would like to know if anyone has any information that could help me with my position?

Asked on August 1, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

What you want to know is if Michigan follows the guidelines that allow someone to collect unemployment benefits for "compelling family reasons,"  which includes following a spouse to a different state.  Unfortunately, the answer is no, Michigan does not permit a party to collect unemployment benefits for this reason.  Michigan has been urged to modernize their unemployment laws and follow the lead of other states in allowing availability for a much broader set of those unemployed ion their state.  There is even Federal funding available for compliance with proposed laws. I am sorry that this does not help you now with your situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.