Can I receive a Letter of Administration for NY State even if I am in CA?

My step-brother passed away in NY State leaving no Will. Can I file to apply for
Letters of Administration in a NY court from here in California?

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Yes, you can file for Letters of Admiistration here in New York even though you are a California resident. New York does not impose any restriction there.  But it may be a good idea to have someone in New York also be a co-Administrator since you are so far away.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.