How can I raise money on my mom’s house?

I have full POA for my mom. She owns a house but has lived with me for past 2 years. Unfortunately she had a fall in hospital and is now in a nursing home. I cannot meet her monthly fees and will have to either raise money on her house or sell it. I have thought about renting it out but it will need a cash injection to modernise it. What is best way round this?

Asked on March 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A POA generally gives you the same rights or authority as the person granting you the POA (i.e. your mother), though you should check the terms of the POA to be sure--some are more limited.
Assuming you have full authority over the home, you can take out a home equity loan for necessary repairs, renovations, etc. required to modernize the house and begin leasing it out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.