Can I put a mechanics lien on my contractors spec house for failing to fulfill his contract on my house?

Contractor started a spec house after he started mine, now he is trying to charge
me for things that were not in the contract, and for which I did not authorize.
He has threatened to put a mechanics lien on my property, can I do the same to

Asked on May 8, 2017 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you may not do this. Only a contractor can put a mechanic's lien on an asset. You can, of course, sue him for breach of contract--that is your recourse, as a non-contractor, for a violation of what you and he had agreed to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.