Can I sue a hotel chain regarding a night auditor who entered my room unannounced in the middle of the night?

I was in my room with my 12 year-old son. Around 12:15 am the phone in the room rang but I did not answer the phone. About 15 minutes or so later I heard the door open and the light of the hallway poured into my room and the night auditor walked in. I jumped out of bed as he was leaving and pursued him into the hallway in my boxers. He was quite a ways down the hall and I yelled at him and he made it sound as though he didn’t know what room I was in and was making sure. The next morning I spoke with the manager in the lobby who essentially didn’t believe me or apologize. They fired him.

Asked on September 12, 2010 under Personal Injury, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Although it appears that you were involved in an unfortunate set of circumstances, I am in doubt that you have enough to sustain a claim for anything under any cause of action.  Additionally, what damages can you prove?  Without a doubt you were inconvenienced and I would write a letter to the business offices of the hotel chain and advise them of what happened, how you were treated, and the end result.  List the name of the person who entered the room and the manager, if you know.  Let them know that you were in fear for you and your 12 year old son.  Then wait and see what happens.  Any reputable hotel chain will respond and probably offer you compensation in one form or another.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.