CanIpurchase a home without my wife being on the deed or mortgage loan?

Asked on August 28, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your wife is willing to not be named on the grant or quit claim deed of real property that is desired to be purchased by you, then that can be accomplished through the escrow company per express written escrow instructions on this issue. Most likely your spouse will need to sign written documents stating that she does not wish to be on legal title to the property prepared by escrow.

As to the loan to acquire the proeprty, your wife is under no obligation to sign the loan documentations, application, trust deed and promissory note if she does not want to. However, the lending institution may not approve your application for the loan is your wife is not an applicant as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.