CanIfile a criminal compliantfor child abusethat Iendured over 30 years ago?

Out of curiousity, I’m not sure what the statute of limitations are for this particular question. Also, this person now lives in Canada. My main objective is this, I don’t want want I endured, happening to other people/kids, in the hands of her. I am now 35 and have struggled with serious anxiety/panic disorder stemming from 6 years of abuse when I was a child. In ME.

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can make a child abuse report concerning an incident that happened over 30 years ago with law enforcement. However, I doubt that once the report is passed onto the district attorney's office in the jurisdiction where the report was taken that criminal charges will be filed. The reasons are as follows:

1. too much time has passed since the incident and the present time, 30 plus years.

2. most likely the statute of limitations for any criminal action against the wrongdoer have run in the state where the incident happened;

3. the district attorney's office will most likely question your motivations for bringing such claims at this time when you are 35 years old as opposed to when you were much younger, for example, 20 years of age.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.