Can I press sexual harassment charges against a doctor?

I went to a breast surgeon to look
at a lump I have on my left breast.
I had already had a physical exam,
mammogram, and CT Scan. When I was
there the Doctor was very
unprofessional and unethical. He
proceeded to do a full exam of both
breasts after indicating there was
nothing wrong with my right breast.
He also went as far as slapping his
hands together, rubbing them
together, after he had radically
exposed my right breast. My
boyfriend was a witness and we
actually have video of his
inappropriate behavior as well as
that of his nurse. CanI pursue
legal advice for possible sexual
harassment or assault?

Asked on October 19, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't effectively sue for sexual harassment or discrimination, since the laws that protect against those things apply to the employment and housing contexts, not the doctor-patient relationship. You can file a police report and he may face charges; you can also contact the medical licensing board and file a complaint. The doctor could face consequences for his acts, but you won't be able to receive monetary compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.