Can I press charges on a person who hit my car and left the scene without informing me?

I have witnesses that saw it.

Asked on December 8, 2015 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that you can identify this person and you have witnesses to the incident, then you can file a complaint with the police. It will then be up to the prsecutor's office whether or not to proceed and file charges against this person. Additionally, you have civil remedies here. At this point, you should consult with an attorney who specializes in car accident cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.