Can I place a lien on my 2 brothers’ part of there trust for money they owe me?

My parents have passed away and my older brother is in charge of their trust. We are in the process of selling their home. 2 of my brothers owe me in total of $10,000 and I need to know if I can place a lien on there portion of the money?

Asked on October 26, 2011 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should seek help from an attorney in your area on the matter but my gut instinct is that you are going to have to sue them or get them to sign something that gives you a judgement against them and allows you to file the judgement as a creditor so that the trustee is aware that there is a debt owed bfore dispensing with the funds.  With out a judgement there can be no lien, as you say.  You can, of course, enter in to a written agreement with them as well that can be submitted to the trustee and the court for approval and then the trustee can honor that.  It is easier as long as they are agreeable to it.  Good luck.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.