Can i petition for my mentally retarded sister?

I am a naturalized US citizen and want to
petition for my parents in Pakistan. Can i
petition for my 35 year old unmarried mentally
retarded sister down syndrome along with my
parents? Or will i have to file separately for

Asked on November 1, 2017 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

you will have to file for her separately but it will be very different processing times for her as opposed to your parents.  she would probably need to qualify for humanitarian parole in order to be able to immigrate with your parents as they will not be able to leave her behind when they immigrate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.