Can I partition for sale property that I own with my brother in a joint tenancy with full rights of survivorship?

Asked on November 13, 2013 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have what is called "concurrent interests" in the property and as long as you did not in some way waive your right to partition (check the Will or Trust and the conditions that may have been placed on ownership), then yes, you have an absolute right to partition. You should consider maybe buying him out as an option as well.  It may avoid legal fees and hard feelings. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.