Can I opt out of gifted real estate divided between 4 of my siblings?

Property going to be gifted between 4 siblings in washinton. Don’t want

Asked on September 19, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can "disclaim" or "renounce" the gift. You can contact the aw firm that is handling this and ask them the procedure for doing so. Typically, for a disclaimer to be valid it must be in writing, be an irrevocable and unqualified refusal to accept the gift and be delivered to the executor of the estate within a certain period of time from the date of the decedent's death (this period varies from state to state).

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You don't need to quitclaim it--it can't be given to you (put into your name) without your consent or agreement. So you don't have to accept it in the first place, and therefore, do not need to quitclaim it away. Contact the lawfirm, first by phone then in writing: tell them clearly that you do not want any part of this and ask what document or letter, etc. do they want from you showing that you are refusing or "disclaiming" this gift, and that you share can be divided amongst the others.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.