Can I on L2 visa with valid EAD start my own LLC

I am on L2 visa as a dependent on my
husbands L1. I have a EAD, can I start my
own LLC?

Asked on March 18, 2018 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you have valid work authorization pursuant to an EAD, it is not tied to a particular employer and you are free to start a business of your own.  Just be sure to renew the EAD when it needs to be renewed so you do not have gaps in employment authorization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.