Can I obtain an annullment after I have already been divorced?

I consented to the divorce at the time to get out of an abusive situation but have evidence the marriage was fraudulent to begin with. For emotional and religious reasons I wonder if I can now seek the annulment?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you have a dissolution decree issued by a judge in the county and state where you reside, you cannot now seek an annullment of your marriage. The reason is that when one wants to end a marriage, he or she have two choices given the circumstances. Divorce or an annullment.

You made your choice and are now bound by a final court decree that your marriage with your former spouse has been dissolved by the divorce. You are legally barred from seeking an annullment of your marriage at this point in time.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.