Can I obtain a HB1 work visa?

I’m a media representative person spending my year in the U.S. and I got a job offer in a startup company. Can I apply and still doing my job here?

Asked on March 13, 2018 under Immigration Law, Nevada


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The company is the one that would need to submit the H-1B visa petition on your behalf but for the current year the quota has already been filled so the earliest you can have an employer file on your behalf would be April 2019 unless it is for a position with a company that would be quota exempt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.