Can I object to a witness being called in a divorce trial?

My soon to be ex husband is calling my boyfriends, ex-girlfriend as his witness
to testify about my boyfriends violence in their relationship. Can I object to
her appearance on the grounds that she is a sexual assault victim, and it will
cause undue embarrassment?

Asked on March 3, 2017 under Family Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot.
First, you can't object on behalf of another person; she could object if she wanted, but you can't do it for her.
Second, even if she were to object, embarrassment is not a valid ground to not testify--the law does not let people refuse to testify for that reason. So while she can ask the court to let her not testify, her request is unlikely to be granted if her testimony would be relevant and useful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.