Can I move with my children to my mother’s house before my divorce?

I live in the house with my soon-to-be ex-husband and our 2 children. We moved 1:45 hours from any of my family. With the divorce happening, I want to move back with my family to get back on my feet with our children. We will still be in the same state. Can I move myself and my children?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Family Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you may not: you cannot deprive your husband, whose parental and custody rights are fully the equal of yours, of the custody and company of his children in this way, at least not unless and until a court (e.g. family court, in the context of a divorce proceeding) makes a judicial ruling as to custody.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.